Wednesday, July 16, 2008

At last! Internet Access!

The past couple of days, the hotel's internet connection (as sporadic as it is) was completely down and I had no time to go to an internet cafe since I was trying to soak up as much of Ulaan Baatar as I could before I had to leave.

Instead of checking into a hostel for the night before my 6:45 am flight, I slept on the floor in my friends' room at the Continental - and sneaked past the watchful eyes of the desk clerks. Yesterday, we went to the Buddhist Temple Museum (one of the oldest buildings in Ulaan Baatar) and a contemporary art gallery. The temple was so ornately decorated, it was unbelievable. Every corner was carved and painted in bright colors and patterns.

The art gallery was interesting as well. I was surprised by how in touch with the cutting-edge trends in contemporary art these painters and sculptors. Perhaps the most interesting was that many of the artists combined traditional Mongolian cultural influences and techniques with their edgy contemporary styles.

Currently, I'm at Incheon International Airport in Seoul, Korea waiting for my flight back to New York City. I left the hotel at 4 o'clock this morning for the airport and landed here in Seoul at about 10:00 a.m. My flight for JFK doesn't board until 7:00 p.m., so in the meantime, I'm going to try to post some pictures!

No comments: